2.6.22-rc: regression: no irda0 interface (2.6.21 was OK), smsc does not find chip

Andrey Borzenkov arvidjaar at mail.ru
Sat Jun 16 12:38:56 EDT 2007

On Friday 15 June 2007, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> On Friday 15 June 2007 07:44:41 am Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
> > On Friday 15 June 2007, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> > > Hi Andrey,
> > >
> > > If you have a chance, can you try the attached two patches?  The
> > > smsc-preconfig patch makes the HP nx5000 work, and the smsc-quirk
> > > patch makes the nw8000/nc8000 work, too.
> > >
> > > I've heard rumors that Windows does basically the same thing as the
> > > smsc-quirk patch, so I think there's a chance it might make your
> > > Toshiba work as well.
> > >
> > > I sent the smsc-preconfig patch to Andrew this morning.  I'm going
> > > to do some more testing other HP laptops before sending him the
> > > smsc-quirk patch.
> >
> > Does not work, sorry. (Patches were taken from your another mails but I
> > assume they are the same). Does not work even if I unload
> > PCMCIA/yenta_socket to "free" resources.
> >
> > I am out of ideas but am ready to test patches if someone has.
>
> Thanks for testing that.

it appears that quirk is not even applied because PnP tells us device is not
active:

[  571.118483] pnp: PnP ACPI init
[  571.118611] ACPI: bus type pnp registered
[  571.158828] quirk_smc_enable: active = 0
[  571.182090] pnp: PnP ACPI: found 12 devices

so this patch effectively did not change anything.

well, that's correct so far, it really is not active after system boot. May
be, quirk should be applied when device is being activated, not when device
is being enumerated?