Aircard 850 on a Thinkpad Z61m

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Tue Jul 3 11:43:09 EDT 2007

 <josh <at> ramat.cc> writes:

> On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, rukhsana ansari wrote:
>
> > Josh,
> >
> > I used the dump_cis utility to get the io port range. The mail attachment
> > contains it. You can check out its help at:
> > http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/man/dump_cis.8.html
>
> Thanks. I got the following output:
[snip]
> I tried adding just
> include port 0x48f8 0x48ff
>
> and then the rest of the IO ports listed too:
[snip]
> after I make the changes to  /etc/pcmcia/config.opts, is there anything else I
> need to do? After both changes, I rebooted just in case, but there was no
> difference in dmesg.
>
> Thanks,
>   Josh

In preparation for trying an AC860 card after I get some hard disk troubles
squared away, I tried to use dump_cis on a desktop (no pcmcia). Apparently, it
tries to access the card. I took a look here:
http://lxr.linux.no/source/drivers/serial/serial_cs.c#L907
I compared that against this:
http://www.sierrawireless.com/faq/ShowFAQ.aspx?ID=118
Even though 7xx and 8xx use different CIS files, they have the same manfid, but
the kernel driver doesn't seem to take this into account. IMHO, it's unfortunate
that driver source has to be edited every time an existing, otherwise unchanged
driver can be reused for a previously undiscovered device. It would be great if
that could all be offloaded to udev. Anyway, as things stand, is there a way to
set PCMCIAutils up to "just work" with whichever 16-bit AirCard might get
inserted? TIA