Looking for a driver for Compact Flash access

Peter Stuge stuge-linux-pcmcia at cdy.org
Thu Apr 5 12:53:07 EDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 05:07:24PM +0200, Michael wrote:
> The CF is connected directly to MPC8541 CPU (PowerQUICC III,
> Freescale), via local bus.
> It is connected in Memory Mode, with 8-bit interface.
>
> The questions I have:
> 1. What is the appropriate driver? Since memory mode is
> PCMCIA-compatible PC Card ATA, I assume it is ide-cs.
> Is it right?

I don't think so. ide-cs expects an IDE controller, but you don't
have one. There is no driver for this hardware yet.

Does the hardware support hotplugging? If not, ide-cs is definately
wrong.

Third, there's pcmcia_ata instead of ide-cs.

But none of this really applies to you because you have an IDE device
connected to a local bus instead of an IDE controller. I think the
linux-ide developers could help you better.

> 2. The card doesn't issue interrupts in this mode. I got the
> impression the IDE driver relies on interrupts. Does it make it
> unusable for accessing a CF in Memory Mode?

The non-PCMCIA IDE drivers can do PIO. It makes sense to investigate
the IDE drivers because you don't really have any PCMCIA-like
hardware.

//Peter