Changing PCMCIA card drivers

Al Graziano al.graziano at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 07:35:09 EDT 2007

Hello,

I am trying to change the driver binding to my PCMCIA wireless card,
from orinoco to hostap, as I need to put the card in master mode and the
orinoco driver doesn't support it. This is what I get from pccardctl

# pccardctl info
PRODID_1="INTERSIL"
PRODID_2="HFA384x/IEEE"
PRODID_3="Version 01.02"
PRODID_4=""
MANFID=0156,0002
FUNCID=6

# pccardctl status
Socket 0:
  3.3V 16-bit PC Card
  Subdevice 0 (function 0) bound to driver "orinoco_cs"

I run Fedora 6 and after a lot of reading and googling I realize that
much of the PCMCIA stuff has changed alot with the new 2.6 kernel. I was
thinking of using the /etc/pcmcia/conf file and put the mapping for the
new binding there, and then restart the PCMCIA service. However, all is
changed and I am struggling to understand how I can change mapping
between the card and drivers. It appears as though the
/etc/pcmcia/conf.opts is still used

Any help is greatly appreciated, please :-)

Ciao
Al