kernel 2.6 pcmcia yenta_socket on Soekris net4511: cards not recognized

Dominik Brodowski linux at dominikbrodowski.net
Mon Nov 27 21:13:58 EST 2006

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 08:27:09AM +0100, Peter Stuge wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 19, 2006 at 10:59:14PM -0500, Dominik Brodowski wrote:
> > It can only work out of the box on
> > a) certain non x86-architectures
> > b) systems where the cardbus bridge is not on the root PCI bridge,
> > but behind a PCI-PCI bridge
>
> This implies that root on PCMCIA requires an initramfs, right?

fuzzy answer: if neither a) and b) are met, yes.

> If you could elaborate a little on both a and b above I would
> appreciate it. Or just a pointer to appropriate code to read.

more accurate answer: check
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/pcmcia/howto.html - section 2.2
and determine whether the system you're inquiring about requires a "resource
database". If yes, this resource database needs to be initialized by
userspace, e.g. by initramfs, before one can use PCMCIA devices.