PCMCIA and New External HD

Paulo J. Matos pocm at soton.ac.uk
Fri Nov 17 10:56:21 EST 2006

On 11/16/06, Matthias Wenzel <linux-pcmcia at mazzoo.de> wrote:
> Paulo J. Matos wrote:
> >> Nitpicking: Note that both USB2 and PCMCIA are specified with a max of
> >> 500mA @5V, so a PCMCIA/USB2 card cannot exist by specification.
> > From what you write it seems they both specify 500mA at 5V, so if the
> > specs are the same, why can't a PCMCIA/USB2 exist?
>
> because the PCMCIA/USB2 converter and electronics draw power, too. In
> practice however manufactureres don't care, but if a HDD really needs
> 500mA (or more? have you checked, what your HDD draws?), it becomes a
> question of the Laptop-HW, the PCMCIA host, the PCMCIA card, etc...

Regarding how much the HD draws, these are the electrical specs:
Electrical Specifications
  Current Requirements
  External Power Specifications (optional)
  DC Input Voltage  5 VDC, 1.0A
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=261&language=en#jump99

which is funny since you just said that USB2 could only provide 500mA.

> > I would be grateful is you do clear me up these details so I can think
> > about what to do next.
>
> Test a USB2 Stick.

Thank you for your explanation. :-) It seems I'm out of luck, no USB2
stick to try this out but I'm pretty sure you're right. Same thing
happened to another guy I found online. It seems I could use
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/accessories.asp?prodid=170
for this to work but again I'm out of luck since it's out of stock.

Oh well, it seems I'll have to be happy with USB1 right now.

Regards,
Paulo Jorge Matos - pocm at soton.ac.uk
http://www.personal.soton.ac.uk/pocm
PhD Student @ ECS