PCMCIA cs hangs at port probe

Dominik Brodowski linux at dominikbrodowski.net
Wed Mar 1 04:27:29 EST 2006

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 12:41:14PM -0500, Bill Soudan wrote:
> I'm trying to get a linux distribution up on my new Sony SZ140, I've
> tried both Fedora 4 and Fedora 5 test 3.  Fedora 4 would hang after the
> 'Starting pcmcia' message, and FC5T3 hangs after the 'Starting udev'
> message.
>
> On FC5T3, after running /sbin/start_udev manually and watching the
> output, the hang appears to happen (I believe) in the pcmcia cs driver
> during a port probe.  Here's the last few lines:
>
> cs: IO port probe 0x3c0-0x3d2: clean
> cs: IO port probe 0x100-0x3af: clean
> cs: IO port probe 0xc00-0xcff: excluding 0xcf8-0xcff
> cs: IO port probe 0x800-0x8ff:
>
> I've attached the output of lspci and lspci -v -v -v.  Any suggestions?

You can try out two things:

either:

# mv /etc/pcmcia/config.opts /etc/pcmcia/config.opts.unused

[as the CardBus bridge is not on the root PCI bus, we can auto-configure it.
Therefore we do not need this resource database. But we can still use it...]

or:

edit /etc/pcmcia/config.opts and remove the line
include ports 0x800-0x8ff
or modify it to read
include ports 0x820-0x8ff

Hope this helps,