Fwd: Re: CardBus cards not detected, PCMCIA cards are

Jonathan Jara-Almonte jonjara at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 12:38:40 EDT 2006

Subject: Re: CardBus cards not detected, PCMCIA cards are
Date: Monday 12 June 2006 11:37
From: Jonathan Jara-Almonte <jonjara at gmail.com>
To: Larry Finger <Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net>
CC: linux-pcmcia at lists.infradead.org

On Monday 12 June 2006 11:15, you wrote:
> Jonathan Jara-Almonte wrote:
> > On Monday 12 June 2006 07:57, you wrote:
> >
> > I tried the -mm kernel which has this patch included and it still didn't
> > work, nor did pci=assign-busses. I have found out however, that
> > theoriginal owner of this laptop, my brother, could not get a card
> > working under windows which leads me to believe it is a BIOS/hardware
> > problem. The interesting thing is that there seem to be no referances on
> > the web to CardBus problems under windows, indeed there is one page that
> > was cached by google where the author said he had the same laptop and
> > problem as me however a card did work under windows. I would try to
> > install windows and test this, however I do not have a spare hard-drive
> > for a laptop.
>
> Do you have the latest BIOS, which Compaq's site lists as KE.M1.61
> (7-2003)?
>
> Larry

Actually I have BIOS revision KE.M1.72 which came with the laptop, I looked
for a newer BIOS and the only newer one is KE.M1.73 which is listed under
Windows XP/2000 only (although I don't see how BIOS can be OS-specific) see:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=37
5243&dest_page=product&os=228. The only problem is that they only provide it
 for WinFlash or ROMPaq both of which are windows executable files, also I
 can't make a floppy to use as my laptop has no floppy drive.

I don't know that much about BIOS so any help in this area would be
appreciated.