FC5 not properly configuring modem ofmultifunctionmodem/ethernet card

Romano Giannetti romano at dea.icai.upcomillas.es
Thu Jul 13 03:33:14 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 09:08 -0500, Stanley A. Klein wrote:

> My last message from Jar was to the effect that because the drivers
> were being properly loaded it was no longer a pcmcia problem but was
> likely something else.

Yes, I've seen that. I think my case is different; the problem is that
no driver is never loaded for the second card function, so I humbly
deduce that the problem is with pcmciautils. I even tried to hack
the .cis file, but pack_cis (8) utility is terminally broken (gives a
segfault on double-freed pointer whatever I do) and dump_cis is slightly
broken too (Even if I use it with -i to dump a file, it try to access
pcmcia service, so I cannt use it on my desktop pc which has not
pcmcia).

So far no one minus you (thanks!) had commented anything to me. Could be
useful to try to fix pack_cis? I mean, the card worked with the
pre-pcmciautils kernels (with the cardmgr daemon); can anyone point me
to whatever (even source code) so that I can start without losing time
on dead routes? I will subscribe to the list when caming back from my
next trip; cannot do it before because, erm, my laptop modem doesn't
work ;-).

>  I'm not completely sure it is not a
> pcmcia problem, but all these things (udev, hotplug, and all the
> others) are now supposed to be working together and a problem in one
> of them is a problem for all of them.It may be
> particular to FC5, but if Ubuntu has an
> /etc/sysconfig/hwconf (or some kind of equivalent) take a look at it.
> Also, look at modprobe.conf and see if it has anything relevant (mine
> had an "alias eth1 serial_cs" which was probably auto-generated by
> something and might have been causing trouble.  More importantly, do
> an lsmod and see if the proper drivers are being loaded.  The driver
> for the serial part is serial_cs.

Tried it. modprobe.conf equivalent id Ubuntu was clean. I even try to
load the driver by hand; but the problem is, the pcmcia subsystem doen
not register the second function of the card, so it's quite ok that
serial_cs could not find anything, methinks.

Tahnks anyway,
	Romano

--
La presente comunicación tiene carácter confidencial y es para el exclusivo uso del destinatario indicado en la misma. Si Ud. no es el destinatario indicado, le informamos que cualquier forma de distribución, reproducción o uso de esta comunicación y/o de la información contenida en la misma están estrictamente prohibidos por la ley. Si Ud. ha recibido esta comunicación por error, por favor, notifíquelo inmediatamente al remitente contestando a este mensaje y proceda a continuación a destruirlo. Gracias por su colaboración.

This communication contains confidential information. It is for the exclusive use of the intended addressee. If you are not the intended addressee, please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited by law. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy this message. Thank you for your cooperation.