pcmcia-cs package kills 2.6.18-rc1 kernel?

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Tue Jul 11 01:24:46 EDT 2006

Hello!

I'm dropping LKML from CC: because this is the place to discuss PCMCIA
issues.

On Mon, 2006-07-10 at 14:22 +0200, CIJOML wrote:
> up to 2.6.16 everythink worked fine for me.
>
> in 2.6.17 uplugging my xi-325 card sometimes killed kernel, but loading
> pcmcia-cs was fine...
>
> in 2.6.18-rc1, only running pcmcia-cs package caused kernel freeze! :(
>
> Any solution?

Report the kernel problem properly (see Documentation/oops-tracing.txt).
I think most people here have no desire to fix the obsolete code, but if
you put some efforts into debugging it, maybe a fix will be applied.

Besides, it's not clear what you are running.  If it's some Debian
scripts, maybe you could reduce the problem to running specific
programs, e.g. cardmgr?

> Any workaround?

The obvious workaround is to stop using pcmcia-cs.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin