A major:minor collision in 2.6.15

Russell King rmk+pcmcia at arm.linux.org.uk
Tue Feb 14 14:51:32 EST 2006

On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 03:54:52PM +0200, Alon Keren wrote:
> On 2/14/06, Russell King <rmk+pcmcia at arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> > You are mistaken - there's absolutely no way what so ever that it could
> > have been set to 4 in the kernel you supplied the /proc/tty/driver/serial
> > from.  With 2.6.15 and earlier, you will always get exactly
> > CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_NR_UARTS "uart" lines in /proc/tty/driver/serial,
> > no ifs or buts.
> >

> #> uname -r
> 2.6.11.12
> #> zcat /proc/config.gz | grep UARTS
> CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_NR_UARTS=4
> #> cat  /proc/tty/driver/serial | wc -l
> 49

I stand firm on my assertion, and can only assume that either there's
some bug in the /proc/config.gz stuff (which I've never used myself)
or your kernel is patched by something which changes the behaviour in
this area in a way which misleads those who know how this is supposed
to work.

> Both are accesible now. Many thanks.

Great, problem solved.

--