Trying to detect the SonyEricsson GC89 PCMCIA GPRS card

Ian Yap d2army at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 8 00:58:26 EST 2006

Hi there,

I came across the PCMCIAutils and was intrigued to try
it after I upgraded to kernel 2.6.15. I have been
trying to get the SonyEricsson PCMCIA GPRS GC89 card
to work, but it just doesn't seem to get recognized by
pccardctl

So now, with pccardctl I am seeing these messages.

pccardctl info shows :

PRODID_1=""
PRODID_2=""
PRODID_3=""
PRODID_4=""
MANFID=0000,0000
FUNCID=255
PRODID_1=""
PRODID_2=""
PRODID_3=""
PRODID_4=""
MANFID=0000,0000
FUNCID=255

which obviously means that pccardctl ident will show
no product info.

But these messages show up in dmesg, when the card is
plugged in:

pccard: CardBus card inserted into slot 0
PCI: Enabling device 0000:03:00.1 (0000 -> 0001)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:03:00.1[A] -> Link [LNKA] ->
GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
0000:03:00.1: ttyS4 at I/O 0x4000 (irq = 11) is a
16550A

So, apparently, the card is a serial device mounted on
ttyS4, but it doesn't respond to any AT commands with
minicom at all. By the way, the card works fine in
Windoes and I can talk to it using AT commands in
Hyperterminal. I did notice that Windows initially
also identifies the card as a PCI Serial device before
it installed the driver, instead of seeing it as a
PCMCIA card.

I also should mention that I have not found any Linux
drivers for this card, and SonyEricsson has told me
that they don't have Linux drivers for it. Ndiswrapper
also doesn't seem to work for the WinXP driver of this
card.

I was hoping to find out if anyone might have dealt
with issues like this too with PCMCIA GPRS cards like
these?

Thanks in advance

Yours Sincerely
Ian