pccards are not detected

Daniel Ritz daniel.ritz-ml at swissonline.ch
Wed Aug 2 14:01:44 EDT 2006

On Wednesday 02 August 2006 19.42, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 19:31 +0200, Daniel Ritz wrote:
> > Marcus Better wrote:
> > >
> > > This laptop is really testing my patience.

> > > Yes, it works now! Thanks a lot! Should I disable CONFIG_PCI_BIOS in the
> > > future to avoid this?
> >
> > no. i'll send the patch towards the PCI maintainer. PCI_BIOS should be the
> > last fallback...
>
> It depends.  For some custom systems, BIOS may be a lifesaver.  Let's
> not change the whole logic of the PCI detection because of one broken
> BIOS.

errm. 2.6.16 automatically uses direct access. if first shows the PCI BIOS
line, then the direct access line in dmesg. pci_raw_ops is first set to
PCI_BIOS to be overwritten with direct access immediatley after that.

eg. from a 2.6.16.20 on a buggy box:
	PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfb9a0, last bus=0
	PCI: Using configuration type 1
cardbus would be bus 1-4. 2.6.17 breaks here...

> The standard solution for such problems is to add a "quirk" to
> drivers/pci/quirks.c or arch/i386/kernel/quirks.c

no. it is a clear regression and the patch in fact just restores the old
behaviour with the exception that the ordering is more clear now than it
was before...

2.6.16: pci bios comes first, is overriden by direct access
2.6.17: pci bios comes first. direct access is never used if pci bios probe "worked"
2.6.17+patch: pci direct access probed first, if it fails pci bios is used.

rgds
-daniel