kpc650 freezes system on big downloads

Jeremy Johnson acj.pllc.law at verizon.net
Tue Apr 18 16:53:29 EDT 2006

Hi,

I have an HP SE L2000 amd64 Turion laptop
running amd64 Gentoo kernel-2.6.15-r1
with "pci=assign-busses" paramter.

Generally, the Kyocera airmodem card is working just fine.
No timeouts, excellent signal strength.

However, if I browse to sites with big pages
of if I try to download large files, e.g. with `wget file`
or if I do an `emerge sync`

the system then locks up.
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace doesn't kill X
Ctrl-Alt-F1 doesn't get me a CLI.
Mouse & keyboard stop working.

I have to press & hold the laptop's power off button
(at least that still works)

Has anyone else had similar problems with this EVDO card?
Does anybody have a clue as to how to go about troubleshooting
what's wrong? Or how to get the debug info that could be useful
to someone who does understand pcmcia hardware issues?