PCMCIA Bluetooth Card (AnyCom CF - 300) on ARM

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Thu Sep 29 13:20:06 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 17:16 +0100, Russell King wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 11:36:30AM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> > I have no sympathy to those who use Red Hat for embedded systems without
> > paying for support.  It's using a wrong tool for a job.  Either hire
> > someone smart enough to use an embedded distribution (or make a new one,
> > or massage Red Hat into being one), or pay Red Hat, and have them
> > deliver binary packages for you.
>
> That kind of attitude is one akin to telling me I shouldn't have been
> working on the ARM Linux kernel for the past 10 years because I haven't
> been paying Linus money for support.

Regarding the kernel, it's a totally different situation.  You took a
good tool for a job, you improved it and you are sharing your results.

> Wake up.  Not everyone can build their own embedded distribution from
> scratch from the year dot.  Unfortunately I have _far_ too much invested
> over ten years to change from an RPM-based distro, thanks to the quirks
> of the mega-fragmented ARM community.

I checked the distribution list on LWN.net and found ARM Linux for you
(http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/).  Further research showed that you are
already maintaining it :-)

Considering that, I think I should refrain from giving you advise on
making embedded distros.  You probably already know where to report
circular dependencies in upsteam packages.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin