PCMCIA Bluetooth Card (AnyCom CF - 300) on ARM

Russell King rmk+pcmcia at arm.linux.org.uk
Thu Sep 29 12:57:53 EDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 05:16:33PM +0100, Russell King wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 11:36:30AM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> > I have no sympathy to those who use Red Hat for embedded systems without
> > paying for support.  It's using a wrong tool for a job.  Either hire
> > someone smart enough to use an embedded distribution (or make a new one,
> > or massage Red Hat into being one), or pay Red Hat, and have them
> > deliver binary packages for you.
>
> That kind of attitude is one akin to telling me I shouldn't have been
> working on the ARM Linux kernel for the past 10 years because I haven't
> been paying Linus money for support.
>
> Wake up.  Not everyone can build their own embedded distribution from
> scratch from the year dot.  Unfortunately I have _far_ too much invested
> over ten years to change from an RPM-based distro, thanks to the quirks
> of the mega-fragmented ARM community.

To provide even more counter points to your argument, I don't see
why I should be the one investing my time to provide folk with an
embedded distribution on a plate - they already get the results of
my kernel work on what is a golden platter.

As an individual, I don't have the time nor the financial backing to
do _anything_ close to what you suggest.  If I tried, you'd be looking
at my participation in Linux coming to an end.

I do far enough for the ARM community already.  I am _not_ going to
take on even more work for precisely zero reward.

(Yes, you've hit a very sensitive subject here.)

--
Russell King
 maintainer of:  2.6 Serial core