PCMCIA Bluetooth Card (AnyCom CF - 300) on ARM

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Wed Sep 28 17:19:08 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 20:29 +0200, Dominik Brodowski wrote:
> Hi Pavel,
>
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 12:46:08PM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> > > Can pcmciautils at least work without udev?
> >
> > I think so, but we should test it.  I'm a bit concerned that
> > allow_func_id_match is only referenced in hotplug and udev scripts,
> > which may disallow matching some (admittedly obsolete) devices.
>
> In fact, pcmiautils only supports udev in its latest release -- before
> that, it was _only_ hotplug...

I think Russell meant if it's possible to support pcmcia without any
userspace scripts.

>  And you need func_id matches also for several
> serial and ide cards.

I mean, there is no way to set allow_func_id_match other than from the
userspace (that's what I see in the code).  It means that e.g. a IDE
PCMCIA card that is only matched by func_id could not be used as a root
device unless initrd is used.  On the other hand, a card that has known
vendor/device ID could be detected and activated by the kernel directly,
without any userspace helpers.

I can imagine neither hotplug nor udev are going to be popular in the
embedded world, where the system configuration is mostly constant, and
the price of utilities software is high (especially if there is no
shared libc), unless they are part of busybox or pure shell scripts.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin