PCMCIA Bluetooth Card (AnyCom CF - 300) on ARM

Russell King rmk+pcmcia at arm.linux.org.uk
Wed Sep 28 12:51:21 EDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 12:46:08PM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> Hi, Russell!
>
> On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 17:05 +0100, Russell King wrote:
> > I also believe you are raising the bar to having working PCMCIA too
> > much by deprecating the ioctl method in such a short space of time.
> > Embedded folks take _years_ to adopt new ideas - some of them haven't
> > even adopted things like udev or hotplug yet.
>
> Actually, upgrading the kernel for an embedded system is the hardest
> thing by far.  Recompiling userspace application is easy as long that
> the cross compiling environment is not messed up.

I rather disagree from my personal experience so far looking after the
ARM architecture - initially entirely external to mainline, then partly
merged, and later completely merged into the mainline kernel.

I've always found userspace to be the _biggest_ problem overall - I can
spend many many hours trying to sort out userspace whereas it doesn't
take long for the kernel side.

Maybe I just entirely suck at userspace though. 8)

--
Russell King
 maintainer of:  2.6 Serial core