Lack of release() function in i82365 driver

Russell King rmk+pcmcia at arm.linux.org.uk
Fri Sep 23 03:24:58 EDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 09:27:11PM -0700, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> After cursory search I was able to find a patch for this problem, suggested
> on this list over a year ago. It would be nice if someone knowledgeable
> could have a look at it and finally incorporate it (or an alternative
> solution) into the kernel.org tree.

It was rejected.  There are a couple of problems:

1. using complete() in the release function to hold up module unloading
   for a device to be released is not allowed - it can lead to deadlocks.

2. adding an empty release function() just shuts up the warning without
   fixing the problem.

The real fix requires a little rework of the platform device support so
that platform devices can be dynamically allocated and have platform data
associated with them, thereby allowing them to exist independently from
the module.

--
Russell King
 maintainer of:  2.6 Serial core