udev / pcmcia-cs

Todd Blumer todd at sdgsystems.com
Mon Sep 19 16:51:53 EDT 2005

Dominik Brodowski wrote:

>Hi,
>
>On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 03:34:38PM -0400, Todd Blumer wrote:
>

>>Since moving to kernel 2.6.12, I've had problems with CF memory cards.
>>After doing some tracking, it seems that udev is removing the hda device
>>in /dev before /etc/pcmcia/ide has a chance to run (to unmount the
>>filesystem). Is the correct solution to inform udev to ignore pcmcia?
>>That seems to work (e.g. mv /sbin/udevd /sbin/junk). What is the proper
>>way to do this? I still need udev for SD/MMC.
>>(Unfortunately, I'm not yet ready to move to pcmciautils.)
>>

>2.6.12 wouldn't be recent enough for pcmciautils anyway. When does this
>behaviour appear: If you do a "cardctl eject", or if you simply remove the
>CF memory card by ejecting it? Can't you "unmount /dev/hdX" first before
>ejecting the device (no need to do cardctl eject then, I suppose)?

2.6.11 seemed to work OK. "cardctl eject" does not unmount the device,
and obviously, just pulling the card out doesn't work either.
Unfortunately, it's not realistic for the project to assume that people
will umount first. If I disable udevd, then 'cardctl eject' will call
/etc/pcmcia/ide and the hda device will still be present so the umount
works.
Thanks.