bind and unbind from userspace

Jar jar at pcuf.fi
Sat Sep 17 05:52:16 EDT 2005

> Suppose there are two drivers capable of supporting the same device
> (real life example: orinoco_cs and hostap_cs).  Suppose they are linked
> into the kernel, which assumes that the generic pcmcia code is linked
> too.  Suppose we have a user who wants to chose between two drivers.
>
> I believe the right way to switch the driver would be:
>
> echo 1 > /sys/bus/pcmcia/devices/0.0/driver/unbind
> echo 1 > /sys/bus/pcmcia/drivers/hostap_cs/bind

This seems a litle bit complicated (where to put these commands? How to automate
this?) for ordiray user to do. So in practice "ordiray user" who just plugs Prism
card in always ends up to use orinoco_cs although he actually should use hostap_cs
for better performance?

The selection between hostap_pci and orinoco_pci is easier. Jus put orinoco_pci to
the /etc/hotplug/blacklist (the file already exists). Could this kind of blacklist
be usefull for pcmcia cards also?

--
Best Regards, Jar