[RFC] cardmgr to pcmciautils mini-howto

Daniel Ritz daniel.ritz-ml at swissonline.ch
Sun Oct 23 11:35:44 EDT 2005

On Saturday 22 October 2005 01.54, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:18:52 +0200, Daniel Ritz <daniel.ritz-ml at swissonline.ch> wrote:
>
> > this is a first draft of a small howto describing how to convert from
> > cardmgr to pcmciautils, including compatibility for running old kernels.
>
> I do not see any mention of pcmci-startup-socket, which is required
> at one of my laptops. It would be interesting to know: when to run it,
> why this is needed (theory of operations), a sample script to run it.

something like this?

The STARTUP option
------------------

When reading the pcmciautils howto you see that STARTUP option mentioned. What
does it do again? It controls the setup of a dynamic resource database needed
for some sockets. The resource database tells the PCMCIA layer what IO port and
what IO memory are usable for PCMCIA cards. In case the database is dynamic, it
needs to be setup before any cards can be used. The /etc/pcmcia/config.opts
file contains the neccessary configuration.
In old setups it is cardmgr that parses that file and tells the kernel what
resources to use. In case of pcmciautils it's the pcmcia-socket-startup tool
which is built and installed when the STARTUP option is set. The tool itself
is run from the hotplug script pcmcia_socket.agent whenever a new socket is
registered with the pcmcia module. This means that pcmcia-socket-startup does
not need to be run manually.

> -- Pete

rgds
-daniel