open_sock(socket 0) failed: Device or resource busy ?

Andreas Volz lists at brachttal.net
Sun Oct 23 08:04:07 EDT 2005

Hi,

I own an older laptop from Mitac (5026) with 200Mhz und 32MB RAM. Now I
try to test if all hardware works with Linux. So I started Knoppix 4.4
and lot of hardware seems to detect (X with 600x800, sound, PCMCIA,...)

But I've some problems to get my PCMCIA modems to work. I own two cards:

- AnyCom Hot 56K
- microcom TravelCard Fast Data/Fax Modem

If I try to exec cardmgr:

> cardmgr
cardmgr[1441]: open_sock(socket 0) failed: Device or resource busy

> lspci
0000:00:17.0 Cardbus bridge: Cirrus Logoc PD 6832 PCMCIA/Cardbus Ctrlr
(rev c1)
0000:00:17.1 Cardbus bridge: Cirrus Logoc PD 6832 PCMCIA/Cardbus Ctrlr
(rev c1)

> lsmod
yenta_socket
pcmcia_core 	[ds yenta_socket]
ds

I tried a kernel 2.4.x and 2.6.6 without other results. There's nothing
in the PCMCIA Tutorial about the cardmgr error message. But I searched
in google and found this message very often, but without any solution
or hint where the problem is. So you're my last hope to get any of this
modems working with Linux.

reagrds
Andreas