Memory include fails during first run of cardmgr

Thomas Heinz thomasheinz at gmx.net
Wed Oct 12 05:35:24 EDT 2005

Hi

I'm running linux 2.6.13 (more precisely Gentoo's 2.6.13-r3) and pcmcia-cs
3.2.8 (more precisely Gentoo's 3.2.8-r2). I have made the following two
observations.

1) During the first run of cardmgr, the following error appears:
   "could not adjust resource: memory 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff: Input/output
   error". Stopping cardmgr and running it a second time does not yield
   this error any longer. This also holds for all further runs. The
   functioning of pcmcia does not seem to suffer from the error (except
   for the issue in 2). I have attached the strace of the first run
   and the second one. Note in the first run:
   ioctl(3, DECODER_GET_STATUS or DEVFSDIOC_SET_EVENT_MASK, 0x8002af80) =
   -1 EIO (Input/output error)
   while in the second, the ioctl works:
   ioctl(3, DECODER_GET_STATUS or DEVFSDIOC_SET_EVENT_MASK, 0x8002af80) = 0

2) Regardless, of whether cardmgr is run for the first or second (or
   later) time, only every second "card insert event" is handled, i.e. if
   I insert a pcmcia card for the first time, nothing happens; after
   removing the card and plugging it in a second time, it works and so on.

For further reference, I have attached the output of `dmesg` and `lspci
-vvv`. Please let me know if you require further information.

Thank you very much for your efforts in shedding some light on these
issues.

Regards,

Thomas