Testing new HSDPA card

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Tue Nov 8 11:01:32 EST 2005

Hi, Dominik!

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 16:39 +0100, Dominik Brodowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 04:32:59PM +0100, Magnus Öberg wrote:
> > OK, thank you for your answer. I have now one more question:
> > There is no sign of action in any of the logfiles when the card is
> > inserted. Shouldn't there at least be some note about "unknown card
> > inserted" in the logs?
>
> Questionable. Any opinions on this both from users and other developers?

>From the security standpoint, it's very useful for the admin to know
that somebody was inserting or removing hardware even if no drivers were
loaded or unloaded.

The log message could be produced either by the kernel or by hotplug.
Both insertion and removal should be logged.  The removal is even more
important, because it could answer the questions like "why did this damn
thing stopped working" :-)

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin