Xircom CBEM56G-100 not automatically loading modules

Pacheco Jason NPRI PachecoJ at Npt.NUWC.Navy.Mil
Wed May 25 13:18:17 EDT 2005

I have a Xircom CBEM56G-100 CardBus 10/100 Ethernet +
56K Modem. I am running Linux 2.6.11 along with pcmcia-cs
3.2.8 and I am using the Linux kernel modules for the
PCMCIA bus and drivers.

I compiled in the yenta bus driver and the xircom_cb Tulip
family driver for the Xircom cardbus cards. The
/etc/pcmcia/config file had the following line for my card:

card "Xircom CBEM56G-100 CardBus 10/100 Ethernet + 56K Modem"
  version "Xircom", "*", "CBEM56G"
  bind "tulip_cb" to 0, "serial_cb" to 1

which I changed to:

card "Xircom CBEM56G-100 CardBus 10/100 Ethernet + 56K Modem"
  version "Xircom", "*", "CBEM56G"
  bind "xircom_cb" to 0, "serial_cs" to 1

The cardmgr is being loaded on startup as necessary.

When I insert the card nothing happens, no beeps, no modules
loaded. `cardctl info` shows both sockets as being empty.
cardctl status shows the following:

# cardctl status
Socket 0:
  3.3V CardBus card
  function 0: [ready]
  function 1: [ready]
Socket 1:
  no card

And cardctl ident shows:

Socket 0:
  no product info available
Socket 1:
  no product info available

However, if I load the xircom_cb and serial_cs modules manually,
then start dhcpcd, everything works fine. The pcmcia-cs utilities
still do not see the card having been inserted, but I can
use it. I would like to figure out why cardmgr is not detecting
the insertion.

Jason Pacheco