correct place to hook in scripts for a wireless card

John Lumby johnlumby at hotmail.com
Wed May 4 12:42:34 EDT 2005

II have a Cisco Aironet 350 card which is working fine with pcmcia-cs
(3.2.8) on a RedHat9 setup (but with a linux 2.6.7 kernel and drivers);
but I have been doing a lot of manual steps in order to bring it online,
configured, and equipped with a DHCP address.   These steps are:
1.  insert the card
2.  wait a while
3.  cardinfo and check it's there
4.   ** run  /opt/cisco/bin/acu  cisco airo client utility  and specify
options
         (or - in future, should be able to run /opt/cisco/bin/bcard to set
options from set saved in file)
5.  **   run /opt/cisco/bin/leapscript cisco LEAP authentication module to
set my LEAP credentials
6.  **  (optional - to check) run  /opt/cisco/bin/acu  cisco airo client
utility again to check radio is associated with server
7.  **  run dhclient to get DHCP address

I am assuming (hoping) that all the steps marked ** can be automated by
appropriate settings in config files or else by hacking appropriate config
scripts.   Now, essentially, I want to embed invocations of the two cisco
scripts somewhere before dhclient is run.
I've read PCMCIA-HOWTO which covers all this but at a rather high level and
with so many ifs and buts that I can't tell which sections apply to me or
not.   E.g.: in section 3.2 :
"The following information applies to cards that are managed by
  cardmgr.  In 2.4 and later kernels, if the kernel PCMCIA subsystem is
  active, then CardBus cards are managed by the hotplug subsystem and
  the PCMCIA scripts are not used."
     Hmmm.    My kernel is 2.6.   Is my card a CardBus card?    What is the
hotplug subsystem?

I tried to dig through all the various scripts in pcmcia-cs and the redhat
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts to understand the flow of control from the
point at which the card is inserted but they are confusing.   What
particularly confuses me is that these scripts appear to duplicate each
other to some extent - e.g. the pcmcia-cs script /etc/pcmcia/network
contains code to invoke dhclient, but also contains code to invoke
/sbin/ifconfig $DEVICE up, and as far as I can tell, /sbin/ifconfig will end
up invoking /sbin/ifup which itself also invokes dhclient.   So which one
actually does run dhclient (or both?)

I did try creating a
containing some basic settings including
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
and this does trigger dhclient, but beyond that I am stuck.

Can someone please explain what happens in my particular case (or what
should happen if I set it up correctly) and where I would embed the calls to
the cisco scripts, or point me to which man page describes this.  (I have
also read man pages for cardmgr, pcmcia, ifconfig, dhclient, dhclient.conf
and am none the wiser ... in fact only more confused ...)

Thanks   John