Thinkpad X40 2371 SD Slot not working

Carlos Maldonado kamihacker at sohost.net
Sun Jun 26 13:18:17 EDT 2005

Russell King wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 26, 2005 at 12:27:37PM -0400, Carlos Maldonado wrote:
>
>>I have to disagree since the power up workaround
>>
>>[code]
>>setpci -s 02:00.0 0x80.l=0c800001
>>[/code]
>>
>>indeed lights on the LED for the SD slot
>>
>>otherwise it wouldn't do anything
>>
>>btw, I just checked and my kernel is configured with PCMCIA debugging
>>enabled
>>
>>any other thoughts?
>

> The register at 0x80/0x82 of a Ricoh R5C476II device is described as two
> 16bit registers.  You're changing bit 11 of the second register from '0'
> to '1'.  To prove this to yourself, try:
>
> setpci -s 2:0.0 0x82.w
> setpci -s 2:0.0 0x82.w=0xc80
>
> Consulting the manufacturers published information, bit 11 of this
> register is described as:
>
> 11	LED polarity	This bit controls the polarity of LED signal.
> 			The default is zero and "low" active.  When this
> 			bit is set to one, LED signal is "high" active.
>
> So all you've done is invert the state of the signal which drives the LED!
>
> Congratulations, you've found a method to turn the LED on. 8)

OK, you got me there, this is a terrible coincidence

any idea where I could head now to get this SD slot to work? I
understand this topic has been visited before and there's some
documentation from Ricoh (which I haven't seen/read) lying around

I could buy a multicard reader PCMCIA card, but I refuse to do so since
the laptop already got an SD slot that should work

thanks a lot for your time Russell :)

Carlos Maldonado