Toshiba ToPIC developer info

Daniel Ritz daniel.ritz at gmx.ch
Sun Jun 26 11:43:31 EDT 2005

On Sunday 26 June 2005 07.48, Ryan Underwood wrote:

> > attached a patch that makes the ToPIC95 work for both 16bit and cardbus
> > cards. tested on my old tecra530cdt. my topic97 rev5 does not require this.
> > akpm: -mm please
>
> This patch works.  The only ToPIC related problems I see are following:
>
> cardctl status:
> 5V 16-bit PC Card
> function 0: [ready], [bat dead], [bat low]
> function 1: [busy], [bat dead], [bat low], [req attn]

mine works fine here with a xircom ce2/3 and a ne2000

> None of these flags make any sense because this isn't a SRAM card (its a
> combo modem/ethernet card)
>
> Also, the 16-bit card doesn't generate a hotplug event (32-bit does), so
> cardmgr is still required, but maybe that's offtopic for this list.  A
> problem related to this is if cardmgr is not running and a 16-bit card
> is inserted, the following is printed:
>
> cs: unable to map card memory!
> cs: unable to map card memory!
>
> and the system seems to be swamped with interrupts (or something
> polling/busy-waiting?) so it is almost unresponsive, until cardmgr is
> started again and the 16-bit card's driver(s) are loaded once cardmgr
> sees it.

may be a problem with the assigned resources in config.opts. mine attached

> I still think that it would be a better idea to use this method on all
> ToPIC chips, or at least ToPIC97 in addition, since there may be a
> corner case laying around.  Since this method should work on all Toshiba
> chips, using it when it is not required would be better than not using
> it when it is required.

i disagree. i haven't seen a single report with problems on topic97.
show me one and i change my mind. for revisions < 5.

also i'm not using 2.6.12 but the git tree from yesterday. this has
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.12/2.6.12-mm1/broken-out/yenta-ti-turn-off-interrupts-during-card-power-on-more-2.patch
already applied. one of the effects is that it helps if the socket is
in a bad state after boot. please test with that one and see if those
	[busy], [bat dead], [bat low], [req attn]
go away.

for the interrupt storm your seeing: i cannot reproduce them. i tried
both cards using ISA and using the PCI interrupt. stable here.

also a full dmesg and a hexdump of /proc/bus/pci/xx/yy.z
of the cardbus bridge please. my bios may have done a bit
more than yours so a bit of more init code could be needed.

rgds
-daniel