need help: cs: unable to map card memory

Storm Nicholas.Storm at orthkluth.com
Thu Jun 16 04:37:48 EDT 2005

hi all,

i am new to using suse linux and tried to install suse yesterday on my gericom laptop masterpiece 2440. install procedure worked just fine except for the fact, that suse was not able to configure and install my pcmcia slot correctly (during the installation boot-up sequence, the screen froze while initializing pcmcia). i worked around this problem by choosing the installation with NOPCMCIA=yes enabled. installation herafter worked without problems. however, whenever i try to boot suse without nopcmcia=yes enabeld at the boot prompt, the laptop will freeze during boot sequence.

i figured, that i need to install whatever pcmcia devices that are present and configure them with the correct settings. said and done, i researched in the suse knowledgebase and found out that loading the pcmcia drivers after boot-up works with the following commands:

modprobe pcmcia_core
modprobe yenta_socket
modprobe ds

this works fine without freezing of the computer.

however, naturally, the card (umts card, novatel merlin u630) is not recognized and i cannot use it. once the card is inserted with the above drivers loaded, i get the following message in the logs:

/var/log/messages contains the message:

kernel: unloading Kernel Card Services
kernel: Linux Kernel Card Services
kernel: options: [pci] [cardbus] [pm]
cardmgr[7470]: no sockets found!

i also find the message:

cs: unable to map card memory.

could someone please help me?

i would like to use my belking wireless lan pcmcia (cardbus card) card and this simply requires a working pcmcia support from suse.

just in case someone will try to refer me to suse support: i have tried to get support from suse knowledgebase and from the suse forums. to no avail so far.

many thanks in advance!

nick

Dieses Dokument enthält vertrauliche Informationen. Bitte benachrichtigen Sie uns, wenn Sie nicht der angegebene Empfänger sind und löschen diese Nachricht in Ihrem System. In diesem Fall darf kein Inhalt dieser oder angehängter Dateien vervielfältigt, weitergeleitet oder auf andere Weise verwendet werden.

This e-mail is only intended for the person(s) to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential information. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from your system. Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or disclose its contents to any other person.