[rincebrain@gmail.com: Re: Compaq R4000 laptop, Yenta driver said "Fish. Please report this."]

Daniel Ritz daniel.ritz at gmx.ch
Sat Jul 30 11:21:18 EDT 2005

hello

On Friday 29 July 2005 22.58, Dominik Brodowski wrote:
> Any idea?
>
> Thanks,
> 	Dominik
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Rich <rincebrain at gmail.com> -----
>
> Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 22:29:47 -0400
> From: Rich <rincebrain at gmail.com>
> To: linux at dominikbrodowski.net, linux-pcmcia at lists.infradead.org
> Subject: Re: Compaq R4000 laptop,
> 	Yenta driver said "Fish. Please report this."
>
> I have tried your pci=assign-busses suggestion, and while that has
> negated the need to use the setpci command I mentioned before, it has
> not remedied the lack of usability of the card.
>
> I have also tried the reserve= kernel option you suggested, and this
> appears to do nothing.
>
> Also, the module license "proprietary" is something I just
> investigated, and the long and the short of it is that the madwifi
> driver's hardware abstraction layer, for some legal reason, must
> remain closed source, while the rest of the driver source is GPL.
> Nothing to see here, folks.
>
> This is becoming quite frustrating, and I thank you for your continued help.
>
> - Rich
>
> On 7/25/05, Dominik Brodowski <linux at dominikbrodowski.net> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Please try adding reserve=0x20000000,0x1fffffff to the kernel command line,
> > and alternatively also pci=assign-busses
> >
> > On Sun, Jul 24, 2005 at 09:11:25PM -0400, Rich wrote:
> > > ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:03:04.0[A] -> Link [LNKA] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -=
> > > IRQ 11
> > > Yenta: CardBus bridge found at 0000:03:04.0 [103c:3085]
> > > Yenta: Using INTVAL to route CSC interrupts to PCI
> > > Yenta: Routing CardBus interrupts to PCI
> > > Yenta TI: socket 0000:03:04.0, mfunc 0x01c01c02, devctl 0x44
> > > Yenta TI: socket 0000:03:04.0 probing PCI interrupt failed, trying to fix
> > > Yenta TI: socket 0000:03:04.0 no PCI interrupts. Fish. Please report.
> > > Yenta: ISA IRQ mask 0x00f8, PCI irq 0
> > > Socket status: 30000020

i don't think it's a pcmcia problem. i just read thru the whole thread
from the list archives...it seems to be more related to ACPI/PCI. also
you say in you last message that a live CD with 2.6.11.8 kernel works.
this is a good point to start the investigation. could you send me the
following, both from the live cd and the non-working setup:
- complete dmesg
- output of cbdump (part of pcmciautils
  http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/pcmcia/pcmciautils-007.tar.gz )
- cat /proc/ioports
- cat /proc/iomem

what kind of live cd was this tested with?
to track down the problem could you also try with a 2.6.13-rc4 kernel?
if that one does not work we need to find out when the breakage was done.
to find this start with 2.6.12-rc3 kernel, if it works test -rc5/6, if
it doesn't try a -rc1/2 kernel. it's important to know at which point
it broke.

rgds
-daniel