Building serial_cs.ko

Nathan M ngmlinux at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 17:24:19 EDT 2005

> > > Enable it in your configuration and then run make.  You don't need to
> > > make clean and rebuild from scratch with 2.6 kernels.
> >
> > Are you suggesting simply enabling it in a "make menuconfig"?  I think
> > i've found the magic bullet under "Character devices --> Serial
> > drivers --> 8250/16550 and compatible serial support" an option that
> > was not enabled. ? for this option does not specifically mention
> > serial_cs, however it does make reference to serial devices and serial
> > modems.  I didn't see anything under PCMCIA/Cardbus support in
> > menuconfig that seemed related to serial_cs, besides serial_cs.c is in
> > a serial driver folder in my linux source not a PCMCIA folder.
>
>    <M>   8250/16550 PCMCIA device support
>
> is the right option
>
> > Could I just add this option, recompile the kernel on my development
> > machine and copy serial_cs.ko to the ARMcore?
>
> It _might_ work, but maybe other, dependant changes may be done to the
> kernel, so you'd need to re-install it as a whole.
>
>         Dominik

Yes it seems like I may need to reflash my kernel in it's entirety.  I
noticed serial_cs is mentioned under the ? for "8250/16550 PCMCIA
device support".  This created several new files among which include:

serial_cs.ko
serial_cs.mod.o
serial_cs.o
8250.ko
8250.mod.o
8250.o
8250_pci.ko
8250_pci.mod.o
8250_pci.o

I know the .ko files are 2.6.xx kernel modules and the .o files are
2.4.xx kernel modules, not sure what the .mod.o files are for?

I copied the three .ko files listed above and attempted to insert them
into my kernel with the following results: