[patches 6/8] pcmcia: remove racy try_irq()

David Hinds dhinds at sonic.net
Tue Jan 11 19:42:20 EST 2005

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 10:28:29PM +0000, Russell King wrote:

> That's fine - the serial driver handles that situation perfectly well
> already - it knows how to share two 8250 ports on one interrupt line
> such that it works.

I believe that this only handles the case where two 8250 ports on the
same card share an interrupt, where the card includes some logic to
buffer the interrupts before they hit the bus.  It cannot handle the
case where ports on different cards are sharing.

That said... if two sockets on one bridge are configured to share one
ISA interrupt, then it's possible that the bridge can handle buffering
the interrupts.  That sounds vaguely familiar to me but I'd have to go
back and check data sheets; it might require some special register
settings.

-- Dave