PXA2xx pcmcia to compact flash on 2.6.13

John Heil armdev at scsoftware.sc-software.com
Sat Dec 17 11:54:34 EST 2005

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005, Russell King wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 07:43:54PM -0800, John Heil wrote:
> > >
> > > What does "it just sat there" mean - the kernel got to the end of the
> > > boot and paniced because it had no root device because it hadn't
> > > detected the card?  It stopped at some point half way through the boot?
> > >
> > > PCMCIA operates asynchronously to the rest of the system, so it's
> > > possible in the first case that it's just an initialisation ordering
> > > problem.
> >
> > 'just sat there' means linux had a functional command prompt etc, and  the
> > only issue was the inability to access/see the compact flash.
>
> What does cardctl status say?  If you don't have that, what about
> the contents of /sys/class/pcmcia_socket/pcmcia_socket*/status and
> related files?
>
> > ...Today's update... pcmcia now works fine and IDE needs debugging...
> >
> > I scoped the board and the pcmcia slot it w a logic analyzer I founnd an
> > inverted direction signal controlling 2 data bus buffers...
> > a fix to the VHDL solved all the get_x_tuple problems.
> > Now I'm debugging the IDE probe code... msleep's being issued while
> > in_atomic()  cool huh :)
>
> Not cool if you're calling bind_request from the wrong context.
> Like I say, you'll be better off using stuff how it is meant to
> be used rather than hacking it around and hoping it'll do what
> you want it to.

Calling bind_request with a favorable context shouldn't be to tough.
I'm thinking embed it in a tasklet fired from the current location... ?

As to the 'hacking it around', unfortunately, those paying for this effort
have layed down a direction that is contrary to the archetecture as it
stands today. My early attempt at a sane approach was shot down with
vigor. :(

> --
> Russell King
>  Linux kernel    2.6 ARM Linux   - http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/
>  maintainer of:  2.6 Serial core

-
John Heil
South Coast Software
Custom systems software for UNIX and IBM MVS mainframes
1-714-774-6952
johnhscs at sc-software.com
http://www.sc-software.com