grey- and blacklisting drivers [Was: Re: Using the "best available" driver]

Jean Tourrilhes jt at hpl.hp.com
Wed Dec 7 20:56:51 EST 2005

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 05:23:32PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:

	Hi Greg,

	Welcome on board.

> So what is the main problem you are trying to fix here?

	To get you up to speed, you may want to read these :
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-pcmcia/2005-December/002957.html
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-pcmcia/2005-December/002997.html

	The problem to resolve : two Pcmcia drivers with partial
hardware overlap. This happen quite often in the Pcmcia/Wireless
world.
	Basically, we want to offer fine grained control over driver
binding in a user friendly way and push that in distros. The basic
infrastructure is there (sysfs bind/unbind), what's missing is the
user friendly wrapping around (automatic on hotplug event, nice config
file, ...).

> Drivers binding to devices that they should not bind to?

	No, that's not what we are trying to solve.

>  Why are they binding to these devices in the first place?

	Because those drivers do support the device.

>  Would something like the libusual code in -mm work better for this instead?

	I personally don't know what it does.

> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

	Have fun...