Using the "best available" driver

Dominik Brodowski linux at dominikbrodowski.net
Wed Dec 7 17:05:54 EST 2005

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 12:00:50AM +0200, Jar wrote:
> Dominik Brodowski wrote:
>
>  >>That is enough to me, just need one simple place to blacklist a module
> >>(instead of deleting it, this is especially important for pcmcia cards
> >>when the support for old cardmgr is removed.
> >
> >... which won't happen before 2.6.16 is out, at least ...
> >
> >>I have pure orinoco cards
> >>and prism2 cards in daily use) and I can live with this
> >>many-drivers-to-one-hw thing. I hope Redhat would update that package
> >>soon.
>
> But in other mail, you say:
>
> "...but that's for monolithic kernels only"
>
> But distro kernels are modular, does this mean that we have not
> blacklisting feature after all?

No, it was confusing what I said, sorry:
a) If the kernel is modular, and you have a recent module-init-tool, then
blacklisting works now, also for PCMCIA.

b) If the kenrel is not modular, and you're relying on pcmcia-cs to manage
this special case, then you can continue doing so until and including
2.6.16, at least.

> It is possible, have to check that. Then it means that all the stuff in
> /etc/hotplug directoey and whole hotplug package is needless.
Not necessarily... but that's so distro-dependant that I don't know any
details about that, sorry.