uevent / call_usermoderrelated breakage on suspend to disk [Was: Re: PCMCIA-related breakage on suspend to disk]

Russell King rmk+pcmcia at arm.linux.org.uk
Wed Dec 7 14:35:32 EST 2005

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 08:26:30PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > What to do?
> > a) fix send_uevent or call_usermodehelper to not lock up in the
> > 	resume-when-suspending-to-disk-path
>
> This is the right way to go I guess.
>
> > b) make device_add fail if in
> > 	resume-when-suspending-to-disk-path
>
> That may have disable suspend-to-USB-disk and similar weird
> scenarios. Not sure if that's a big loss.
>
> > c) disable device-adding in drivers/pcmcia/cs.c:socket_resume() if in
> > 	resume-when-suspending-to-disk-path
>
> Probably simplest...

No.  The question is - why does this work on previous kernels and why
has it only just apparantly broken?

I use this facility all the time, albiet on the kernel version it was
introduced with.  And no, because of the crap surrounding the PCMCIA
ioctl, sorry I can't test later kernels.

--
Russell King
 maintainer of:  2.6 Serial core