Using the "best available" driver

Jar jar at pcuf.fi
Wed Dec 7 09:58:02 EST 2005

> On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 10:28:02AM +0200, Jar wrote:
>> But can this be done so that only wanted module is loaded once, not first
>> unloading
>> unwanted one and then loading the correct one?
>
> add
>
> "blacklist	i_do_not_want_you.ko"
> /etc/modprobe.conf

Thanks! I tied to add line: 'blacklist orinoco_pci' but I got:

# grep black /var/log/messages
Dec  7 16:39:19 linux modprobe: WARNING: /etc/modprobe.conf line 6: ignoring bad
line starting with 'blacklist'

Either I don't understand or my module-init-tools or some other related package is
too old to do blacklistning in modprobe.conf?

Module                  Size  Used by
orinoco_pci             8013  0
orinoco                41045  1 orinoco_pci
hermes                  7361  2 orinoco_pci,orinoco
hostap_pci             58225  2
hostap                117065  1 hostap_pci

Now the hostap_pci get loaded first for some reason and the wlan is working but both
 drivers are loaded. Maybe this is cosmetic but who knows if it can cause harms in
some situations?

--
Best Regards, Jar