PCMCIA/CF device probe order issue

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Tue Aug 16 05:35:38 EDT 2005

Hi,

I'm starting work on supporting the Sharp Zaurus SL-C3000 under Linux
2.6 and I'm having a problem with device numbering. The device uses the
PXA/SharpSL CF interface and I have all the interface code working
perfectly. The device has some unfortunate slot numbering however in
that slot 0 is a normal CF slot but slot 1 is a fixed internal
microdrive which contains the system's root filesystem.

If you boot with no card in slot 0, the microdrive is found, turned
into /dev/hda and the root filesystem can be mounted fine. If you have a
memory card in slot 0, this becomes /dev/hda, the microdrive
becomes /dev/hdc and it can't find the root filesystem.

Is there a way to avoid this? Ideally, slot 1 needs to be probed first
but I'm unsure how to do this.

I've slightly simplified this as I'm actually booting to a tiny flash
partition, then pivoting the root file system at the moment but the
device numbering still gets messed up. With the new pcmcia changes, I
hope to be able to avoid pivoting entirely so the problem stands.

Richard