Building serial_cs.ko (PXA serial 8250 conflict)

Russell King rmk+pcmcia at arm.linux.org.uk
Sun Aug 7 15:53:02 EDT 2005

On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 10:00:31PM -0400, Nathan M wrote:
> > Wrong.  It's complete crap.  It may look like it solves the problem
> > but it just papers over the problem.
> >
> > For example, using console=ttyS0 vs console=ttyS3 does not do what's
> > expected - there's no guarantee that one or other driver will end up
> > being the console.
> >
> > Due to the above, re-using the namespace is just not on for mainline
> > kernels.  Sorry.
>
> So are you suggesting the only solution is to wait for the PXA
> developers to fix the bug in the PXA-serial driver?  If I absolutely
> had to get a system working with both the PXA serial ports and an 8250
> UART in a short timeframe, what would you recommend as the best work
> around solution until the PXA bug has been resolved?

Change the major/minor number and the "ttyS" name in the PXA driver.
Other people have changed it to be the same as the SA11x0 serial driver -
major 204 minor 5 to 7 inclusive, name "ttySA".

I doubt that the PXA maintainers will ever fix the problem.  The PXA
maintainers will say that they doubt that I'll fix the serial layer
to allow them to do what they want.  It's complete stalemate as I said
earlier.

--
Russell King
 maintainer of:  2.6 Serial core