SMC2532 not recognized

David Hinds dhinds at sonic.net
Wed Sep 8 17:02:52 EDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 10:43:34AM -0700, Dan Christian wrote:
> I just picked up a SMC2532 card with a PCMCIA to PCI adapter.  All
> my research suggested that this card should work just fine under Linux.

I'm not sure what research you did.  The list of cards that the
pcmcia-cs tools know about does not list the SMC2532.

> Is this some new/unsupported version of the card?  Or am I just doing
> something wrong?

I would guess that you just need to add it to the card database.  If
you check your system log, you'll find an "unsupported card" error
message.  Try adding:

  card "SMC 2532W-B EliteConnect"
    manfid 0xd601, 0x0005
    bind "orinoco_cs"

to /etc/pcmcia/config and see if that helps.

-- Dave