TI 1130 chipset woes - no IRQ assigned.

Jim Nelson james4765 at verizon.net
Tue Oct 26 21:24:24 EDT 2004

David Hinds wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 05:39:56PM -0400, Jim Nelson wrote:
>
>>I've got a bit of a problem with my old Thinkpad 760ED.  The Cardbus bridge
>>is not getting an IRQ assigned by the BIOS, and is defaulting to IRQ 255.
>>I've got the TI 1031 & 1131 datasheets and would like a little advice on
>>how to get this thing working.
>

> You can't get it working; the PCI interrupt pin on the CardBus bridge
> is not connected to anything.  And the kernel PCMCIA system does not
> support CardBus devices without a PCI interrupt.
>
> (if you check the users guide for this laptop, it says that CardBus is
> not supported under Windows, for the same reason)
>
> If you use a 2.4 or older kernel, and the external pcmcia-cs modules,
> then this setup will work, for CardBus cards that work with pcmcia-cs
> drivers.  The pcmcia-cs socket driver will route ISA interrupts for
> CardBus cards if no PCI interrupt is available.  The kernel subsystem
> doesn't support this option.
>
> -- Dave

Ah well. It was an old piece of junk anyway.

Thanks for giving me an answer, though.  I'd half expected that the INTx lines
were not hooked up, but didn't want to try opening the thing up to verify it.
OTOH, I've learned more about PCI programming and architecture than I ever knew
existed.

So, any CardBus-specific drivers should be okay, but anything that relies on
pci-specific calls will not?  (i. e. orinoco_cs will work, but the OHCI driver for
a USB 2.0 card will not)

If all else fails, it can become a victim for kernel experiments...

Thanks,

Jim