Cardbus cards not being seen?

Martin Glazer sourceforge at glazer.ca
Tue Oct 19 11:32:31 EDT 2004

Hi,

Thanks for the response...

On October 14, 2004 01:03, Dominik Brodowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> dmesg doesn't show it, but lspci shows them both:
> > 0000:07:00.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation Intersil ISL3890
> > [Prism GT/Prism Duette] (rev 01)
> > 0000:0b:00.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3cCFE656 CardBus
> > [Cyclone] (rev 02)
> > 0000:0b:00.1 Communication controller: 3Com Corporation 3cCFEM656 10/100
> > LAN+56K Modem CardBus (rev 02)
> >
> > The problem I am having is that the built-in card is recognized and
> > working but any cardbus cards are not recognized, in fact nothing shows
> > up at all in dmesg when one is inserted. If I insert an old 16-bit card,
> > it is recognized.
>
> Also, cardctl says
>
> > Socket 2:
> >   3.3V CardBus card
> >   function 0: [ready]
> >   function 1: [ready]
>
> which is all you want. Errors should show up in dmesg, not cards being
> recognized properly. All you need is to load the appropriate drivers for
> these devices, if they haven't been built into the kernel.

Thanks for the help - that was the problem - I just needed to load the
drivers. All my drivers are configured as modules and I couldn't understand
why they wouldn't load for the cardbus cards, but would for the 16 bit cards.

I eventually tracked the automatic driver load to my hotplug system - for some
reason, the hotplug binary had been removed and hence wasn't running and

It doesn't explain the 16 bit vs cardbus module loading though.

Regards

Martin