PCMCIA detection in kernel 2.6 series

Joshua Kwan joshk at triplehelix.org
Tue May 18 10:32:19 EDT 2004

Hello PCMCIA developers,

I'm one of the developers on the installer for the new release of Debian
GNU/Linux. We recently introduced 2.6 support but noticed that this
included some unwanted caveats with regards to the way we detected the
existence of a PCMCIA bridge on the system. We were checking for the
existence of /proc/bus/pccard/drivers; it seems that this exists only in
the presence of a PCMCIA bridge in 2.4, but in 2.6 it is created
unconditonally. Is there a definitive way for us to figure out whether a
bridge does exist and has been configured by the PCMCIA subsystem or not?

Thanks,

--
Joshua Kwan