"unable to apply power" problem in 2.6.6

Ryan Verner xfesty at computeraddictions.com.au
Wed Jun 23 11:20:38 EDT 2004

Dominik Brodowski wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 01:12:03AM +0930, Ryan Verner wrote:
>
>>>since I'm not an x86 guy.
>>
>>I'n not ordinarily an x86 guy
>

> Well, I _am_ an x86 guy in the form of only having x86 hardware available...
> and maybe I can spare a few minutes in the next days, but possibly only next
> week... A few things you could provide to me:

Hi,

Thanks for your reply - keen as ever to get this sorted out.  Apologies
I didn't get back to you yesterday - insane day :-(

http://mail.catstick.com/pcmcia/before.txt

http://mail.catstick.com/pcmcia/after.txt

http://mail.catstick.com/pcmcia/after-withcard.txt

> d) complete dmesg, possibly with DEBUG enabled in drivers/pcmcia/cs.c and
>    drivers/pcmcia/yenta_socket.c

http://mail.catstick.com/pcmcia/dmesg.txt

Note, this is without DEBUG enabled; I'll recompile my kernel in a
minute and post results with it enabled.

More detailed error at:

http://mail.catstick.com/pcmcia/syslog-withcard.txt

> e) information on the card concerned: is it a PCMCIA card, or a Cardbus
>    card?

The particular card I am trying is a Senao 200mW 16-bit PCMCIA card,
more information at:

http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/SenaoCard

It's not just this card, though; it happens with other cards I have, too
(i.e. 16-bit Orinoco card).  I believe one card is 3.3V, and the other
is 5V, but I can't recall which is which.

Also note that the same cards, with the same cardbus controller, with
the same hard drive (i.e. userland/configuration/tools) work flawlessly
on a different motherboard.

> And a few things you could try:
>
> 1) Does it work on a different board, e.g. when booting Knoppix on it?

Yes, it works on another board.  No, it does not work on the same board
with Knoppix.

> 2) increase the delays in pcmcia_core by passing module parameters to this
>    module: most importantly, setup_delay and vcc_settle.

Ok, I'll toy with this; not sure exactly what I should set them to, though.

> I hope we'll be able to solve this issue,

Me too, thanks for your help :-)