Document for PCMCIA in 2.6 kernel.

Russell King rmk+pcmcia at arm.linux.org.uk
Tue Feb 24 23:10:18 GMT 2004

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 06:02:15PM -0500, Muthukumar Ratty wrote:
> Is there any document out there that explains PCMCIA system in 2.6 kernel.
> I got the cardservices link...
> http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net
> but it mentions that 2.5/2.6 has different subsystem.
> Any pointers would be appreciated.

No documentation work has yet occurred, so if you have specific questions
it's best to ask on this list.

Overall the subsystem remains the same, apart from:

- the CardServices() call is gone, and replaced with a bunch of
  pcmcia_* functions.  Eg, CardServices(GetConfigurationInfo, ...)
  is replaced by pcmcia_get_configuration_info(...)

- we now have a struct pcmcia_driver which contains the attach and
  detach callbacks, and the driver name.  This structure should be
  registered on module initialisation using pcmcia_register_driver()
  and deregistered using pcmcia_unregister_driver().

  Note that after pcmcia_unregister_driver() your driver still needs
  to walk its private dev_list.  See drivers/net/pcmcia/pcnet_cs.c
  as an example of this.

--
Russell King
 maintainer of:  2.6 PCMCIA      - http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/