updated patches to handle multifunctional single-function devices

Matthew Wilcox matthew at wil.cx
Mon Dec 13 15:46:08 EST 2004

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 05:05:03PM +0100, Dominik Brodowski wrote:
> Add pcmcia_device(s). They're named pcmciaX.Y with X being the socket number
> and Y being the "device" number -- one PCMCIA card may have several
> hardware-implemented functions (so-called multifunction devices) or may be
> able to be driver by two drivers at the same time (e.g. pcnet_cs and
> serial_cs).

I'm not convinced that 'pcmcia' should be part of the device name.
Looking in /sys/bus/*/devices, 5 (ide, parisc, pci, pnp, scsi) do not
include the bus type as part of their name, and 2 (platform, serio) do.
usb host devices have 'usb' in the name, but target devices do not.
I think pcmcia should follow the majority here and leave 'pcmcia' out
of the name of the device.