[linux-audio-user] snd-hdsp+cardbus+M6807 notebook=distortion-- FIXED!

Ivica Ico Bukvic Ico.Bukvic at oberlin.edu
Wed Apr 21 11:01:34 BST 2004

Hi, I just recompiled the 2.6.5 kernel with patches but am a bit confused
with some of the outcome. Could you please help me with these issues:

1) I still had to apply the patch from the
http://www.muru.com/linux/amd64/patches/patch-m680x-pcmcia-acpi-fix

Now someone told me that this was only a workaround. How is this so? If BIOS
requires those higher addresses (or whatever they are), then how do you make
it work otherwise?

2) I also had to apply the APIC patch from
http://www.muru.com/linux/amd64/patches/patch-amd64-via-ioapic

or otherwise I would get bogus IRQ's for bunch of my stuff.

3) Battery stuff now works on the laptop but I cannot get the proper cpu
frequencies (again because of BIOS and/or improper reading of the
frequencies -- Arima mentioned that the BIOS has frequency table for all
possible processors and that Linux apparently is looking in the wrong place,
is this possible?). I tried applying the patch for this issue found here:
http://www.muru.com/linux/amd64/

but I could not apply it as the file changed significantly since 2.6.4. Does
anyone know where can I locate a fixed version for the 2.6.5 and x.x.6?

4) I used 2.6.5 source and then patched it to 2.6.6-pre with the latest
available patches. However, I've encountered a weird problem. I've followed
the install instructions to the letter in the "README" in the kernel source.
So I created /home/ico/build/kernel folder and built it there (the kernel
source was in /usr/src/linux-2.6.5, but the symlink /usr/src/linux did not
point to it). Everything went fine, but when I tried recompiling ATI's
drivers it could not find bunch of stuff that was located in the
/home/ico/build/kernel/ but not also in the /usr/src/linux-2.6.5/. I simply
ended up doing something that I probably shouldn't have, copying
/home/ico/build/kernel/ stuff into the /usr/src/linux-2.6.5/ and only then
did the compile of the ATI's driver work. Does anyone know why this is/was?

I did install the kernel properly following the instructions in the
/lib/modules/ and the computer booted fine, so that could not be the
problem.

5) This one is not so critical, but I would appreciate any help I can get on
it. I am using mdk and usually kernels had the bootsplashes so that the
boot-time looked nicer. I tried recreating mkinitrd --splash=800x600 <image>
<version> and even when though the initrd size increased the splash was not
there. I also tried using Mdk tools, such as make-boot-splash (under
/usr/share/bootsplash/scripts/ but that did not work either). Any ideas?

6) I also noticed Andrew Morton's 2.6.4-mm2 patch which did not work with my
2.6.5+x.x.6patches kernel so I couldn't check it out, but it did seem quite
extensive (1+MB). Is this the low-lat patch and if so is there a x.x.5 or 6
version of it?

7) Finally, should I preempt the kernel when compiling it or not for the
good multimedia performance? (please just a brief yes or no on this one,
don't wanna start another flame war :-)

Apologies for the ton of questions, but I want to make sure first that this
chapter is closed before moving onto troubleshooting the pcmcia stuff.

Best wishes,

Ivica Ico Bukvic, composer & multimedia sculptor
http://meowing.ccm.uc.edu/~ico/