pcmcia-b12 patchset suggestion updated

Dominik Brodowski linux at dominikbrodowski.de
Tue Apr 20 00:48:38 BST 2004

I've just re-diffed my proposal for a patchset named "12-pcmcia". It is
built on top of 2.6.-bk-current which has most of 11-pcmciaresource included.

Changes to previous implementation sent to list
- re-diffed
- diffstat for 02 was wrong
- obvious typo in 06

The patches are available in compressed form
at:
http://www.brodo.de/patches/2004-04-19/pcmcia-b12.tar.bz2
or
http://www.brodo.de/patches/2004-04-19/pcmcia-b12.tar.gz
as single diff at:
http://www.brodo.de/patches/2004-04-19/pcmcia-b12-complete

and as single patches as follows:

http://www.brodo.de/patches/2004-04-19/01-unused_bulkmem_code

Most of drivers/pcmcia/bulkmem.c is unused by the Linux kernel
PCMCIA subsystem and/or in-kernel PCMCIA device drivers. Remove
this unused code as well as references to it.

 drivers/pcmcia/bulkmem.c     |  467 -------------------------------------------
 drivers/pcmcia/cs.c          |   22 --
 drivers/pcmcia/cs_internal.h |   24 --
 drivers/pcmcia/ds.c          |    3
 include/pcmcia/bulkmem.h     |  148 -------------
 include/pcmcia/cs_types.h    |    3
 include/pcmcia/ss.h          |    8

http://www.brodo.de/patches/2004-04-19/02-move_bulkmem

The rest of drivers/pcmcia/bulkmem.c is only used by code
relevant for 16-bit PCMCIA devices. So, link it with ds instead
of with cs. The newly created module pcmcia.ko contains a MODULE_ALIAS()
for the name "ds" so that backwards compatibility is ensured.

 drivers/pcmcia/Makefile  |    6 ++++--
 drivers/pcmcia/bulkmem.c |   22 ++++++++++++++++++----
 drivers/pcmcia/cistpl.c  |    1 +
 drivers/pcmcia/cs.c      |    2 --
 drivers/pcmcia/ds.c      |    4 +++-

http://www.brodo.de/patches/2004-04-19/03-remove_ftl_memory

Remove both include/pcmcia/ftl.h and include/pcmcia/memory.h as they
are unused.

 include/pcmcia/ftl.h    |   73 ------------------------------------------------
 include/pcmcia/memory.h |   41 --------------------------
 2 files changed, 114 deletions(-)

http://www.brodo.de/patches/2004-04-19/04-obsolete_kconfig

Add a new CONFIG_PCMCIA_OBSOLETE option.

 drivers/pcmcia/Kconfig |   12 ++++++++++++
 1 files changed, 12 insertions(+)

http://www.brodo.de/patches/2004-04-19/05-obsolete_parts_of_cs

Some parts of cs.c are not used by any PCMCIA socket or card driver or the PCMCIA
subsystem itself. Mark them CONFIG_PCMCIA_OBSOLETE. Also, define pcmcia_get_window
static as it was supposed to be.

 drivers/pcmcia/cs.c |   20 +++++++++++++++-----
 include/pcmcia/cs.h |   12 +++++++-----

http://www.brodo.de/patches/2004-04-19/06-Kconfig_PCMCIA

After noting three things, namely
1.) CardBus cards work without ds a.k.a. pcmcia loaded,
2.) ds a.k.a pcmcia cannot be built as module if pcmcia_core is built in, and
3.) some commenting in drivers/pcmcia/Kconfig was obsolete
	[to use 32-bit cards, you don't need pcmcia-cs],
I wrote this patch which introduces more config options for fine-grained tuning
of what to built as what and what not to built. In future, 16-bit-specific code
in pcmcia_core may be surrounded by CONFIG_PCMCIA. Also, I'll try to remove
the dependency of yenta_socket on cardbus.

 drivers/Makefile        |    2 -
 drivers/pcmcia/Makefile |   15 +++++---