Numeric name in /proc/interrupts - bug or feature?

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Wed Sep 3 17:58:25 BST 2003

Hello!

With Linux 2.6.0-test4-bk5, Yenta based cards have numeric names in
/proc/interrupts, unlike most other devices:

# cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:     443713          XT-PIC  timer
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  4:        594          XT-PIC  serial
  9:          0          XT-PIC  acpi
 10:          0          XT-PIC  0000:01:00.0, hostap_cs
 11:        824          XT-PIC  eth0
 14:       4575          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:          0          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
LOC:     443551
ERR:          0

I understand it comes from this line in yenta_socket.c:
  request_irq(socket->cb_irq, yenta_interrupt, SA_SHIRQ,
              pci_name(socket->dev), socket)

Shouldn't we use something like "yenta_socket" instead?  I believe
/proc/interrupts is supposed to be human readable.  For machine readable
interrupt information, sysfs would be more appropriate (although I don't
think it knows about interrupts).

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin